1889

A generous bequest from David Sears (1787-1871) via his son, parishioner Knyvet Winthrop Sears (1832-1891) funded the purchase of land on Washington St. for a replacement of a storefront location for our  mission Chapel of the Ascension.  The chapel would be consecrated as our mission church in 1890, and its new home would be completed at 1906 Washington St. (at the corner of  Newcomb St.)  in 1892. Parishioner Arthur Rotch was engaged as architect. His firm Rotch & Tilden also built Church of the Holy Spirit, Mattapan MA, and Church of St. Saviour’s Episcopal Church, Bar Harbor ME.

David Sear’s house at 42-43 Beacon St. is on the National Historic Register. Knyvet, his wife Mary Crowninshield Peabody Sears, and their daughter Clara Endicott Sears lived at 132 Beac on St..  For homes of other parishioners and benefactors, please see our Parish Historian’s Google map.

Painting by Gilbert Stuart of David Sears, Jr. (credit: Metropolitan Museum of Art, WikiCommons). Benefactor of the Cathedral Church of St. Paul, Boston; Christ Chruch, Longwood, Brookline & Emmanuel Church

Knyvet Winthrop Sears, Harvard U. Archives. KWS, Class of 1852

1886

Our mission to the South End, which had since 1881 been called Emmanuel Chapel, was renamed Chapel of the Ascension when it moved to 69 West Concord St.. Minister-in-Charge, the Rev. Walter E.C. Smith expanded its youth activities.

Parishioner Annie Lawrence Lamb gave funds in memory of her father, Benjamin Smith Rotch (1817-1882), to found Church of the Holy Spirit, Mattapan.

Rear of Church of the Holy Spirit, Mattapan, which was designed by Arthur Rotch. Photo credit: Ch. of the Holy Spirit

1883

Memorial bronze bust of The Rev. Dr. Alexander Hamilton Vinton by Augustus St. Gaudens was installed in the nave.  It was finally dedicated in 1894. For details please see an article in the Boston Daily Globe.

The family of the late Benjamin Smith Rotch endowed the Rotch Travelling Scholarship for architects.

See also

1880

The Rev. Dr. William R. Huntington wrote “A Brief Sketch of the Early Days of the Church of the Good Shepherd”, Parish Journal of the Church, pp. 7-10.  Its title page lists as rector The Rev. George J. Prescott and as warden JDW French, who had come with founding priest WR Huntington from Emmanuel.  Also listed are warden Robert H. Richards and other founders, vestrymen, and sexton.

See also 1866